WTB?
Can you help with this one? Thanks,
Frank Trimborn
Houston, TX

Hi Frank,
What a wonderful photo of an immature Milkweed Assassin Bug, Zelus longipes. The nymph will eventually grow wings. Assassin Bugs are tireless predators that can also bite painfully if mishandled.

Location: Houston, Texas

3 Responses to Milkweed Assassin Bug Nymph eats fly

1. susan says:

Milkweed is the host plant for Monarch butterflies. Two years ago the Assassin bugs laid so many eggs on my plants they made a sticky mess and killed my plants. I blast the eggs off with the hose now. The Monarchs will not lay their eggs with this bug there.

If the plant got sticky, we would not suspect Assassin Bugs. Aphids tend to secrete honeydew and that will make plants sticky.

2. Terry Lasswell says:

I don’t know of any milkweed in my area but these bugs have been caught in the pads of my dogs feet at least 4 times in the past couple of months. I am guessing that they get bit as they will jump up and start shivering. Going after their paws. I wipe off their feet and keep finding these guys. I keep seeing them all over our house in Richmond Texas.