Odd Caterpillar
Sir,
My son’s and I located this odd looking caterpillar. It is purple and green with horns. It also has silver spikes on it’s back. We were wondering if you would be able to identify what it is. We have attached a few photo’s as well. Thank you for your time.
Michael

Hi Michael,
We are going to very gently inform you about how crucial it is for you to provide us with location information when submitting an identification request. We are certain this is a moth in the genus Syssphinx, most probably the Hubbard’s Small Silkmoth, Syssphinx hubbardi. It ranges from Arizona to West Texas. It is also found in extreme east California and south Nevada. If you live in central Texas, it is probably a closely related species, Syssphinx heiligbrodti.

Mr. Marlos,
I apologize, we live in Tucson, Arizona. I would also like to know if they are poisonous or if they sting.
Michael

Hi again Michael,
Thanks for writing back with your location. These caterpillars neither sting, nor are they poisonous. The frightful appearance is a protective device.

11 Responses to Hubbard's Small Silkmoth Caterpillar

1. Jeremiah says:

Found one in oro valley arizona scared me to death…wicked cool looking though. Any idea what it looks like after?

2. Sjkv says:

I just found one in Scottsdale AZ

3. sky fisher says:

My sons found one in Amado az

4. Denise says:

My friend found one in Tucson . Wicked creepy.

5. james gavigan says:

i found one at work today in tucson arizona

6. April Vascoe says:

I live near Saguaro National Park East, in Tucson, Az. I just found one making his way into my garage.

7. mrs b says:

my students and i found one at acacia elementary…. they told me they found a caterpiller with metal legs…

8. Wendy Greene says:

My son brought this wicked-looking caterpillar in for identification. He called it the knight of all caterpillars because it looks like it is wearing armor plate and chainmail. We live in Tucson Arizona near the Saguaro National Park West.

9. J Grigsby says:

I found one in front of my door in Tucson,Az

10. Paul says:

Just found one in Continental Reserve