white flannel moth caterpillar
I believe we found a White Flannel Moth Caterpillar while hiking the Cumberland Trail near Crossville, TN. One of our group got a bit of a sting when brushing past this colorful caterpillar. I would like to confirm the ID if possible.
Millette

Hi Millette,
You are absolutely correct. This is a White Flannel Moth Caterpillar,
Norape ovina, and the sting is quite painful.

Location: Crossville, Tennessee

3 Responses to White Flannel Moth Caterpillar

1. moonnbeamm says:

If you are stung by this caterpillar immediately smash it into the stung area . That will counteract the sting. Be sure to cover the caterpillar with a leaf or something as you smash it.

2. moonnbeamm says:

From personal experience I speak. As a child I lived in South Texas and when an asp fell on me, the Mexican gardner smashed that thing into the area and it stopped the pain. What a relief. The man told us that they have always treated these stings in that manner so from university study I know that that bug has to have the antidote within its body. Do not touch the thing with your uncovered hand or it will sting you again,