Female Drumming Katydid (Vancouver)
Dear Bug-folks,
I’d like to share a couple of photos of what I am pretty sure is a female Drumming Katydid. Last summer, just days after you had posted the one mentioning how strange it was to find such a species in Western Canada, we found one of the little guys (male) walking across the livingroom carpet. We caught him in hopes of getting a pic and confirming the previous find, but alas, I couldn’t find my camera and had to let him go with no evidence (but what a cute little guy!). I wrote in to tell you about the incident, but I know you prioritize emails with attached photos, so you may not have seen it. Well here was another one a few nights ago, and this time was able to capture a few snaps. I know that it is no big news anymore — it is well known now that they have established a home here — but I thought you might like to add these images to the site since you don’t have any of a female. Warmest regards,
Shannon
Vancouver, BC

Hi Shannon,
Thank you for thinking of our site and our readership by thoughtfully sending us your wonderful image of a female Drumming Katydid, Meconema thalassinum. One can’t help but wonder if their northern range expansion might be related to global warming.

Update: (07/03/2008) Katydid IDs from Piotr Naskrecki
I have been looking at the page with unidentified katydids (Katydids 2), and thought I could help with some ID’s. From top to bottom they are: Meconema thalssinum