help with ID please!
First of all may I just say that your site is lovely. The pictures and information are top notch, and I really appreciate your trying to educate people about the fact that they are not the sole nor the dominant species on this planet. Could you please tell me what type of caterpillar this is? I saw one climbing my deck rail last evening, and one crossing a gravel path this morning. What does this species eat, and what will it turn into? Also when I picked it up it released some green liquid onto my finger, what was that? Thank you!! 🙂
Kate Julian
Stokesdale, NC

Hi Kate,
This caterpillar has us stumped. It is a Hornworm, the larva of a Sphinx Moth in the family Spingidae, but we cannot locate the species on Bill Oehlke’s excellent comprehensive site when we searched species found in North Carolina. We will try to contact Bill to see if he can identify the species. The caterpillar probably puked on you. Here is Bill Oehlke’s response: “Hi Daniel, Agrius cingulata comes in several different forms. The spiracular ovals are usually distinctive, however, with the spiracles outlined in the center of a larger, dark, eyeshaped marking, surrounded by white to offwhite. There is also a faint lateral line and darklines on the head. Please ask photographer to contact me so I can request permission to use image. I would also like to know the county. I have recently received several images of adult moths of this species from N.C. Bill Oehlke”