Oh dear, another Luna Moth
Obviously you receive piles of photos of these beautiful moths but, after hearing about them for awhile, we finally found our first one. We’re delighted! Especially since "our’s" has such vivid eyes in the middle of the wings. It’s early September in East Texas. We gather these moths appear in the Spring. After seeing photos of the Luna cocoons, we remember finding them on the ground a few months ago. This fella must be getting fairly old. We carefully placed him high in a Sweetgum tree, watched him till he was happily munching on a leaf then left him in peace. We’ve bookmarked your site and will certainly be returning when we find more creatures. Thank you for all your work,
Rebecca (10) and her dad.

Hi Rebecca,
In the South, there are two generations of Luna Moths each year. Adults only live a few days and do not eat, so you were mistaken in believing this moth was munching on leaves. We expect this will probably on of our last posting of an adult Luna Moth until next spring.

It was very gracious of you to respond to our email. A couple of days after find our Luna moth and sending in a photo. my wife was walking in the yard and a “plop” caught her attention. She found a Luna caterpillar at the base of a sweetgum tree. It’s now living in a large jar with a sweetgum twig and a lot of leaves. We’ve downloaded pictures from your site, details from others and a budding “bugologist” has prepared her first spontaneous 5th Grade science project of the year. Thank you for taking the time to respond. My daughter was thrilled. Even more so when she saw the photo of her moth on your site. Best Regards,
Carl Strange