Interesting photo (and location) of a bag worm
Hi Bugman,
Thanks to your site, my brother & I are able to identify the insect in the attached photo! We found this bag worm outside of a Walgreens, attached to the "Handi-capped" parking sign. I am amazed that it made it all the way up to the top of the sign without being destroyed by someone! Plus, not sure how it got it in the middle of a parking lot? Best,
Stacey Gee
Poughkeepsie, NY

Hi Stacey,
While the adult male moths of bagworms have wings, the females are legless and wingless and remain in the bag their entire life, laying eggs there after attracting a mate with pheromones. If a female bagworm caterpillar chose that site for its cocoon location, it will surely guarantee her progeny will not survive as they will be too far from a food plant. If a male moth emerges, he will be able to fly away. This whole scenario gives one pause to think.