Possible Sexton / Burying Beetle
While mushroom hunting in the woods the other day, I came across an Artist’s Conk or Artist’s Fungus (which they are often called), and upon closer examination, I noticed this beautiful beetle walking across it. I’m glad I always carry my camera as you never know what interesting things you’ll come across ~ example mentioned. Anyhow, I did a little research and believe this to be a Sexton / Burying Beetle . . . am I correct? Photos taken by me ~ 9-1-2007 (Northeast Ohio) Thanks,
T. Theiss

Hi T,
We are actually very happy your identification is incorrect. The markings on your Sap Feeding Beetle resemble those of a Burying Beetle, but the two are not closely related. Your Sap Feeding Beetle, Glischrochilus fasciatus, is in the family Nitidulidae. The reason we are excited is that your photo represents a new family, genus and species for our site. Thanks for your contribution.

Correction:  July 7, 2013
Pleasing Fungus
Beetle
Today while trying to identify another red and black beetle, we realized that this old posting had been misidentified.  This is actually a Pleasing Fungus Beetle in the genus Megalodacne.  See BugGuide for additional information.

Location: Ohio