Peculiar Hairy Orange Caterpillar Found in Belgium
Hello dear bugsir,
Recently, my parents witnessed a peculiar orange caterpillar falling from out of the tree in our garden, right here in Kapellen, province of Antwerp, in Belgium, and they took some pictures of it. I would like to apologize for the bad, blurry, unclear quality of 3 of those pictures, since my parents aren’t professional photographers (they aren’t even amateurs …). The only clear one is the last one (and it almost can be used as a decent wallpaper!). I was very intrigued when i looked at those pictures, because here in Belgium, our insects dont look that colourful, or exotic. It does seem very out of place here. I’ve tried searching some sites (i even looked at all of the caterpillar pictures on your site) but no info came up about this species. I really want to know what type of caterpillar it is, and if those hairs are venomous or not, because i have a little phobia of caterpillars. So if i walk under under tree and this beast falls in my neck, i really want to know its name and what effect those hairs give, before i start to run off and scream like a girl. Regards,
Bart from Belgium

Hi Bart from Belgium,
We did identify this species of Punk Rock Caterpillar in August 2006. It is on our caterpillar 6 page. It is a Sycamore Moth Caterpillar, Acronicta aceris. Sadly, the link to the UK website where we originally identified it is no longer active.