Gulf Fritallary?
Hooray!
I’m excited to have made my first bug discovery which I believe is a Gulf Fritallary. Saw the other postings on this caterpillar, but I’d love to find out some more about it to share with my kids (they were just as excited to discover it).
Armando, Los Angeles.

Hi Armando,
Once you have a name, it is remarkably easy to locate information on the internet. This Gulf Fritillary Caterpillar, Agraulis vanillae, feeds on passionflower vine and will metamorphose into a lovely orange butterfly with silver spots on the underwings.

2 Responses to Gulf Fritillary Caterpillar

1. Mariel Lawsky says:

The passion flowers have a unique structure, which in most cases requires a large bee to effectively pollinate. In the American tropics, wooden beams are mounted very near passionfruit plantings to encourage carpenter bees to nest. The size and structure of flowers of other Passiflora species is optimized for pollination by hummingbirds (especially hermits like Phaethornis), bumble bees, wasps or bats, while yet others are self-pollinating.,”‘”

Most recent blog post on our webpage
    <http://wellnessdigest.co

2. Sherry Harshman says:

Everywhere I look, I see that every link says that these Gulf Fritillary caterpillars are not dangerous.
    Well, apparently one climbed on my bag and I didn’t know, and as I started on my way home from a walk in the woods to gather maypops, I started having this intense burning and itching sensation on my arm, right where I had rested it on my bag. So I checked my bag, and sure enough, the caterpillar was there, where I had my arm. I had welts and redness from my wrist to my elbow…soon after, my lips became numb. Now, hours later, I have a rash on my neck, upper chest, shoulders, and upper back…not sure if this was caused by the same thing, but the welts and redness and burning and itching on my arm was!!