PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
I found two identical spiders last summer crawling across my living room floor. I caught one and took it to the Fort Worth Zoo for help identifying it, since I spent a week on the internet and had no luck. They couldn’t figure out what it was. Now it’s been over a YEAR of searching and still no luck. Yesterday I found another one and took it straight back to the zoo. They still haven’t been able to help me, other than saying it might be a jumping spider. PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME, this spider is driving me crazy. I live in Arlington, TX. If you need any more info let me know. I know that it doesn’t trap food in a web, it runs up and catches it. Also, since I’ve found three I think they should be fairly common, but the fact I’ve yet to find it is very frustrating. Thanks for any help,
Emily

Hi Emily,
The shape, coloration and markings on your spider as similar to images posted on BugGuide of Ant Mimic Spiders in the genus Castianeira, but they are not an exact match. Our Audubon Field Guide, though, has a spot on match. Ant Mimic Spiders often live near ant hills where their antlike behavior confuses predators. They are found in the Southern states.

Location: Fort Worth, Texas

One Response to Ant Mimic Spider

1. Sheanean says:

One of these castianera amoena ant mimic spiders bit me on the forehead when I was in my pool. I felt something on my face and when I rolled my fingers across it, it bit. My forehead stung and burned immediately. Within 30 minutes, every pore on my head was tingling and I had a headache. Hoping that’s the extent of it. I fetched it from the pool so I could look it up. Looks EXACTLY like the picture.