Strange white caterpillar under willow tree…
I was standing under our curly willow tree when this strange creamy white caterpillar plopped onto some sticks at the base of the tree. I don’t know whether he just fell off or if a bird dropped him. Anyway, I have not been able to find out what kind of caterpillar it is anywhere! He has the distinct black stripe down his back, and tiny black dots along each side. He is very sensitive to being bothered and will curl up tightly like a cutworm at the slightest touch or bothering. One other strange thing was his head was cream colored too. Could he perhaps be an albino of some species? His skin is very smooth and tough feeling. I gave him some willow leaves but he has not tried to eat any yet. Please help me out here! Thank you!
Charity
P.S We live in Michigan.

Hi Charity,
It looks like a Caterpillar, but it is not a Caterpillar. It is a Cimbex Sawfly larva. Sawflies are non-stinging relatives of wasps. We have seen Cimbex Sawflies in yellow, green and pink, but yours is the first white image. Seems they are available in the colors of after dinner mints.