ID yellow wasp
I saw this tiny (between 10mm and 15mm) yellow wasp and would like your help to ID it. Right after this shot, I took a sequence of around 30 more shots of it laying eggs with a large ovipositor inside a pupa in a cocoon (below this leaf). The sequence was taken in the Botanical Garden of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Thanks a lot!!! Luis A. Flori

Hi Luis,
What a wonderful image of a Chalcid Wasp. Your description of the egg laying is very accurate with regards to this parasitic species. You photo greatly resembles a Golden Yellow Chalcid, Spilochalcis mariae, which has an extensive North American range. Your specimen might be the same, or a closely related species.

Hi, Thanks a lot, Daniel! Here you have the complete sequence of my (much bigger and detailed) shots of the Chalcid Wasp laying its eggs, just in case you want to look at it, with your ID acknowledgment at the end. It seems that to ID the pupa with these poorly lit images would be even more difficult… I searched the internet for another pictures of the wasp, but I wasn’t able to find any. Wonderful site you had built! Please keep it strong!! Thanks again!!
L.

Location: Brazil