wasp mimic
Hi –
I love your website! What a great idea – we get info, you get distribution and emergence data. I found this “wasp” on the kitchen table this morning, in Port Townsend, WA – on the Olympic peninsula. It didn’t seem quite right, because it was inactive, and lacked the wasp waist, and there was something about its antennae that said “Lep” – sure enough, when I looked at it with my loupe, scales on the edges of the wings, scales on the body. I left my Covell moth field guide back east – do you know which species this is? Curious that so many of your “wierd bugs” are moths – they sure have a wide range of disguises. Anyway, thanks and keep up the good work-
Nancy Lowe
Port Townsend, WA

Hi Nancy,
You are correct about this being one of the Wasp Mimics in the family Sesiidae, but we are not prepared at this time to identify the species or genus. We need to do additional research and hope someone can come to our assistance.

Ed. Note
January 17, 2009
Thanks to taftw who placed a comment, we now know that this is a Douglas Fir Pitch Moth, Synanthedon novaroensis
.

One Response to Clearwing Wasp Mimic: Douglas Fir Pitch Moth

1. taftw says:

This is Synanthedon novaroensis. The common name is the Douglas Fir Pitch Moth. It has been recorded attacking various species of spruce and pine. This moth is found from Alaska to California and east to Montana.