Katydid or Grasshopper?
I’m eager to know exactly what this guy is. I found him trapped in an umbrella this morning (July 8th) and when I freed him he bit me. I dropped him and he assumed a very angry and threatening pose and even chased me around the street. He either couldn’t fly, or chose not to because he ran everywhere, almost like a cockroach. He was an able climber and scaled a wall to make his escape. It was very ungrasshopper-like behavior, and after reviewing your grasshopper/katydid page, I’m beginning to wonder if he’s the latter. I snapped a few pictures, one with his wings exposed and one without (see links). I live in Fukushima Prefecture, Japan. I hope you can tell me what the hell he is!
(the) Brian Adler

Hi Brian,
We don’t have access to information that would identify the species or genus, but this may be one of the Katydids in the family Tettigoniidae. It reminds us of one of the predatory species in the U.S. Neobarrettia spinosa, and could be closely related.

Update: (07/03/2008) Katydid IDs from Piotr Naskrecki
I have been looking at the page with unidentified katydids (Katydids 2), and thought I could help with some ID’s. From top to bottom they are: Japanese “katydid” – not a katydid but Gryllacrididae, Prosopogryllacris japonica

Location: Fukushima, Japan

2 Responses to Aggressive Japanese Raspy Cricket

1. Scorpian46 says:

Thats a Raspy Cricket AKA Bush Cricket
    Prosopogryllacris japonica

They are highly Predatory and are not Katydid
    Check these
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h5K_Fl4mg0 ( Sunburst Raspy Cricket )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2miaRAkwGY ( Bull-dog Raspy Cricket AKA Sia Ferox )

Thanks for the information. Piotr Naskrecki had already identified the species for us. We have corrected the 11 year old posting thanks to your comment.