question about types of wasp
Bugman,
I have a question about a type of wasp that lives under ground. I live in Illinois, about 50 miles south of Chicago, and I’ve started finding a extremely large type of wasp. The length of the smallest is about 1 1/2″ and the largest is about 3 inches in length. The roundness of the bodies range from 1/4″ to about 3/8″ and they are very aggressive and territorial. I looked at the wasp and hornets on your sight and sorry to say nothing as big as what I have encountered. I have attached a pic of a small one that I was able to catch, its curled up, but you can see the markings and size. Please let me know if you have any info on this guy, or any questions, I would appreciate it very much. Thank you very much in advance,
Rodney

Hi Rodney,
Cicada Killer are large and territorial, but they very very rarely sting humans. Only the females sting, and they are much more interested in paralyzing Cicadas and dragging them to underground burrows where they provide food for larval wasps. Males seem more aggressive as they court females, but they cannot sting. Adult wasps feed on nectar. There is really no need to try to eliminate them.