Beetle ID
We’re in upstate New York and moved to the country a couple years ago. Although we’ve seen some odd bugs this is the winner by far! It was beautiful and creepy all at the same time. Quite large at about 2” or more and a great flyer but it wouldn’t leave us alone – not in a menacing way. We would catch it and let it go on the other end of the deck but it would come right back where we were sitting. We had no food out with us but it certainly wanted to be near us. I really didn’t want to kill it so we let it chase us inside. We would love to know what it is. Seems to be a beetle of some type but I couldn’t find anything similar on the internet. Sorry for the poor photo quality – what do you expect from picture phones… Thanks for the help…
Lisa in Staatsburg, NY

Hi Lisa,
A poor photo is generally better than no photo. We can tell you for sure that this is a Long Horned Borer Beetle in the family Cerambycidae. There are several species with this general coloration, so exact species identification is not likely. With that said, we are relatively sure this is Stenelytrana emarginata thanks to an image posted on BugGuide.