Eight Legs + Two Claws — Insect?
I love your site. After my grandmother was attacked in Arkansas by a very aggressive, female, Dobson fly, my love of insects has only increased. Your site has provided hours of fantastic information and wonder. I finally found out what a house centipede was. But now I have an unknown, which I submit with pictures. I live in Minneapolis in an apartment building. Today I found crawling on my wall a fairly small, maybe 3-4 mm long, eight legged creature with an additional two large crab-like claws in the very front. Its body is very similar in shape and coloring to a cockroach nymph. The creature carries its claws in front of its body in much the same way a crab would, slightly extend and slightly raised. Additionally, the creature uses its claws in much the same way a crab would. It seems to regularly bring a claw to its mouth and “taste” what’s on the claw. Please review my photos and tell me what you think. I can’t seem to find anything on the net that even hints and what this might be. Thanks a million Bug Man!
PS – On closer inspection it appears this creature has no antennae.
Ellen

Hi Ellen,
This is not an insect, but an Arachnid. It is a harmless Pseudoscorpion.
Pseudoscorpions are quite harmless, but they are fierce predators if the prey is small enough for them to capture. They are known to catch and eat house flies much larger than themselves.  We get submissions of Pseudoscorpions from around the world.

26 Responses to Pseudoscorpion

1. Sandra says:

Hello this is my first time usin this site and i dont know how to post pictures yet but i love in a house an i have been getting these small bugs that are about less then 1/2 an inch an they look tat they have small claws or thorns of some kind in the bad end of them, they are dark in color and they are showing uo everywhere. I wanted to know what are they and how i can get rid of them….please help!!!!!

PHotos can be submitted with the Ask What’s That Bug? link: https://www.whatsthatbug.com/ask-whats-that-bug/

• Lani says:

Sorry, i misspelled ( earwig )! One way to get rid of them is to put out dampened rolled up newspaper,they love to hide away in small damp places.When you see that there are less of them throw the paper out and put out a new one.This really works!

• Kelly says:

Earwigs and silver fish are attracted to paper, glue….carbs….. and dampness. If you have old books, papers, magazines etc laying around they will be attracted to them. You may not want to put out damp paper as it will only attract not deter……

2. Monika says:

I have found the same creature on my kitchen counter this morning eating my butter! I freaked out because I have a baby and don’t like bugs!!! I know ticks carry Lyme so I’m scared, but happy to read its harmless! If you can please help me , I would like to know where they come from so that I could prevent them from entering my home. What kind of environment they like and an assurance that they are harmless.
    Thank you so much in advance!:)
    Monika

Pseudoscorpions are harmless. We have never received an image of a Pseudoscorpion in a natural environment, and the numerous images we have posted to our site are all indoor sightings.

3. crystal says:

i had a Pseudoscorpion i think fall out of my daughters hair the other day onto my lap. where do they live? and she got it from daycare any way they can get rid of them on their playground outside so all the kids dont get them in their hair?

According to BugGuide: “under bark and stones, in leaf litter, caves, and homes.” Hair is not the preferred habitat for a Pseudoscorpion, so in our opinion, mass eradication in an attempt to prevent a repeat occurrence is a futile endeavor. Furthermore, we do not provide extermination advice.

4. Carol Thorlacius says:

I find a couple of these pretty much every spring around the house! Live in Manitoba Canada..we get brutally cold winters so am surprised to hear the scorpion reference?

5. Crystal says:

How do u get rid of these bugs?

6. Jenna says:

I just found one of these bugs in my room tonight and we have found some at my fiancés mother’s apartment before.. I hate bugs and these really gross me out so I end up getting a piece of toilet paper and flushing it down the toilet since they are hard to kill. I normally flush them down alive.

7. Dave says:

I just had one fall from my head onto my ear and to the ground picked it up off the floor and immediately saw a resemblence to a tick and a scorpion and freaked a little and onto the Internet. I also live in Canada in Ontario and have never Seen these before. Glad I could find an exact picture and hear they are harmless. Thanks bug man. Dave from Ontario canada

8. Darlene says:

Thanks, Bugman! We found this tiny scorpion-like bug crawling on our bed blanket yesterday. After I squashed it and looked at it under a magnifying glass, my husband said it was a spider since it had eight legs. It’s good to learn they’re Arachnids and named Pseudoscorpions and better to learn they’re harmless. I thought it’s mini scorpion pincers made it look cute (after it was squashed), but from now on I’ll throw them outside so they can hunt flies! Darlene & Phil from Wisconsin USA

9. I live in Arizona ( from Illinois originally ) and for over 15 years now I have been seeing small hairy spider-scorpion looking creatures in my apartment. They have 2 claws in the front part of their bodies & colors have been light tan, brown and black. They are scary looking & i pray to God that they are the psuedo things you have mentioned. I used to only see them in the shower area of bathroom but have also seen some in bedroom and stovetop & on kitchen wall. Thank you for the information your site has supplied & thank you for alleviating some of my fears of these ugly , alien-looking monsters!

10. caleb says:

I don’t know what if it killed people.

11. Farhood says:

Please help,

I found one in my bathroom, and don’t know what to call it,
    what is a good name for this cute “Not an Insect”?
    Just kidding, I put it in a flower box in balcony, I’m glad you don’t provide extermination advises, Don’t know why you don’t, still I’m glad.
    Thank you.

12. Ann says:

Awe…now I feel bad for flushing him! Thanks for the info..I was creeped out. Now when I see one I will let him live on.

13. Kayla says:

I live in capebreton & I too have encountered pseudoscorpions, I noticed that they seem to be attracted to moisture, have normally seen them in my bathroom or during fall/spring. I’ve never had an infestation so to speak only the odd one on super damp days.

14. Irene says:

i’ve never seen one until my brother found one in his tub – sure looked like a tick with claws – live in Door County Wisconsin.

15. Madonna says:

So far this year I have found 2 of them in my house in eastern Canada. At first they scared me and I was not long googling it. The my are the weirdest bugs. I’d rather any bug then these lol!

16. Danielle says:

Well these are creepy, I find them occassionally, in the spring, on my walls. Are there other bugs with a similar look? Mostly want to be sure these are actually what I found. This one was walking across my desk like it owned the place. I had just set down my coffee, yarn and phone

17. Romeo says:

I found one inside of my toilet paper roll, in friggin Norway automatically thought it was a tick, and killed it.