millipedes
Trying to id this millipede from pa in the poconos.

This is a Flatbacked Millipede in the order Polydesmida. That is the best we can provide at the moment.

Update: (01/20/2008) Millipede IDs
Here are ids. for the millipedes on the millipede page. Most are quite old; don’t people submit new ones more often than this? (07/03/2007) PA. Poconos. Sigmoria (Rudiloria) trimaculata trimaculata (Wood) (Polydesmida: Xystodesmidae)
Rowland Shelley
North Carolina State Museum of Natural Science

6 Responses to Flatbacked Millipede

1. melanie says:

I have lived in the same house for 20 years and this year I have these flatbacked Millipedes all over my yard. Are they a danger to my kids or pets? What can I do to get rid of them?

2. Madison Rose says:

Are these rare in some states I found one and I live in Vermont I have pictures of it too

3. Alisa King says:

Franklinton NC near Raleigh
    This summer every time I put my hands into the soil of any of my gardens I see at least 4-5 of these millipedes. They don’t really coil, just sort of curve. I’ve only occasionally noticed them in the past. Can you think of any reason for this? Any concerns?

4. Steve Resler says:

Took a pic of a similar one on 7/12/2017 on a dirt road in a heavily wooded area alongside the Hoosick River in Schagticoke, NY.

Will post the pic if requested.

5. Lew says:

I see 1-2 of these critters every morning when I walk my dogs in my neighborhood in Wake Forest NC. They are always in the sidewalk (probably everywhere) but since I’m walking on the sidewalk, that’s where I see them. And I only see them in the morning.
    Again almost EVERY DAY!

6. Mushy says:

Found one of these in a dog park in Connecticut.