Follow-up on Zebra Longwing caterpillar
I just love your site! 🙂 Thanks again for letting me know that I had Zebra Longwing caterpillars on a passion vine. I had followed them through the stages and have attached additional pictures of the cacoon and adults on a cacoon.

Lastly. I have now found a SECOND different caterpillar on the same passion vine. It has the same spikes as the Zebra Longwing but it is differently colored. Do you know what this caterpillar is? Thanks.
Bill
Miami, FL

Wow Bill,
That is one impressive looking Chrysalis. We have never seen the Chrysalis or Pupa of a Zebra Longwing. It is very ornate. It appears that the Zebra Longwing adults are mating, and we suspect the caterpillar might be the coloration of an earlier instar. Caterpillars molt four times, once after each of the five instars or growth phase. On many species, each instar is a different color with different markings. After the fifth molt is the Chrysalis stage. Your metamorphosis series is a fabulous addition to our site.

One Response to Zebra Longwing Metamorphosis and Mating, and possibly early instar Caterpillar

1. I believe the orange caterpillar pictured is a Julia . The other orange spiked caterpillar that feasts on passionvine is a Gulf Fritillary. I raise and release these native butterflies, here in South Florida, along with monarchs, and
    black swallowtails.