Unusual fly
Could you identify this fly? I caught it tonight flying around my sister’s room, freaking her out as if it was going to attack her. I tried searching google for it, but there seems to be a lack of information on flies. All help is greatly appreciated.
Dave

Hi Dave,
All of the Green Horse Fly images on BugGuide came from North Carolina, Georgia and Florida. Green Horse Flies are in the genus Chlorotabanus.

19 Responses to Green Horse Fly

1. Melanie says:

We just caught the first one I’ve ever noticed in Kentwood, Louisiana. Are they common here and i just don’t know it?

2. trish says:

I just got one in my kitchen. Southeastern Ohio July 14, 2015. I have never seen one before.

If you identification is correct, this is a more northern sighting than any reported on BugGuide.

• trish says:

I first thought it was a white bee. I stunned it with a fly swatter and my daughter in law took a picture of it. She used an app on her phone to find out what it was. She found several websites with pictures identifying it. This was a Green Horse Fly.

3. Danyell says:

we are in White Castle, LA and they are around the eve of our house by the Hundreds every evening never seen such til recently, but I’ve noticed they dont come after us or dogs like normal looking horse flies

4. Margaret says:

I’m 61 and have lived in Charleston, SC all my life and there is one in my car as my granddaughter is driving us. I’ve never seen one here before. I’m not going to kill it, but help it get out as soon as we get to the house. Weird looking!

5. Missy says:

Just had a green horse fly come into my house here in St. Tammany, Louisiana. Have never seen one before!

6. Keller says:

I found one of these in Walton, West Virginia. Pretty northern for this tabanid, apparently.

7. Julia Mook says:

Caught 2 in horsefly traps…Southeast Texas
    2017 May

8. Julia Mook says:

2017 May

9. Kristen Morin says:

My daughter and my boyfriend got bit my something that looked like a green fly. Later that day I had seen it flying around the living room. My boyfriend hit it with fly swatter….it didn’t die instead flew around bouncing of the walls really fast. My boyfriend ended up killing it…Raeford N.C …it looks like a fly but body is like a greenish yellow. ..

10. Dianne Kendall says:

Caught 1 in NW Tennessee

11. Roxxie says:

Trapped one in a Tupperware it was sitting on my bathroom wall… Orange Beach, AL

12. Jonathan Osborne says:

Fixing to get out of the car and one kept hitting all 4 Windows. Waited a few minutes then went in the house and it followed me. Lumberton texas.

13. Gabe Lyons says:

Im 40 years old and have never seen green horseflies in Springhill La until this year.

14. Terry says:

Just seen my first green horsefly ever.
    All of my coworkers said they had never seen one either.
    We are in Panama City Fl.

15. Terry says:

Just seen my first green horsefly ever.
    We are in Panama City Fl.

16. James says:

I’ve lived in Florida for 40 years and sighted my first Green Horse Fly near Choctawhatchee Bay in Point Washington.

17. Alicia B Maddox says:

I killed one in Virginia, on The Eastern Shore, and the blood was a blue color.