A few pics
I am sending these pics I took of a Polyphemus Moth, some sort of Hawk Moth?, a couple shots of spiders (I think they may be some sort of Orb Spider? There are literally hundreds of them in every nook and cranny of my acreage!) and a large bettle I found in my sunporch. I have looked through your site to try and ID this beetle, but I am on dial-up, and therefore the length of time it is taking me to load up all of the beautiful pictures to compare it to is almost enough to make me want to throw my laptop across the room … lol … I have run a search and tried every sort of search words … ahh well, maybe you can help me 🙂 I have began taking "bug" pictures as a hobby, and I am enjoying your site each and every time I visit. I wanted to send along a few pictures of bugs from angles that perhaps you do not have pics from … like the fluffy poly moth’s face and head … he/she almost looks cuddly 🙂 And the spider picture where it is eating a fly might work for your page devoted to insects eating other things 🙂 I would love to know what type of beetle is in the attached picture … It was very aggressive, agile, and active … He was around the size of an adult’s thumb … Very nice colouring, but in the pictures he is covered in fuzz … crawling around under a sofa in the sunporch where the dogs sleep will do that to ya! … lol … It took a couple swings at my Rottweiller and I decided to release it somewhere where my dogs would be safe 🙂 Thanks so Much!
Heather – Central Saskatchewan, Canada

Hi Heather,
While all of your images are very nice, it is very complicated for us to post multi-image letters efficiently. The beetle in question is one of the Caterpillar Hunters, probably Calosoma calidum.