little spider hunting wasp in action
hi there.
after perusing some of the great photos on here i thought i’d dig out one of my fav photos; some ‘action’ shots of a 10mm long spider- hunting wasp dragging its paralysed victim back to its lair she seemed very determined and sure of her destination through what would be a mountain range of stones and leaves. i snapped this in the UK last summer. not after an ID (well ok if you want a challenge) just thought i’d share. cheers,
andy (kenilworth, england).
fantastic website!!!!

Hi Andy,
We might eventually identify your Spider Wasp, but for now, we will post it with just the general category.

I thought I might try to look this one up, but I was amazed to find out that even in just the UK alone there are 48 species in the family Pompilidae, spider-hunting wasps!
Susan

2 Responses to British Spider Wasp with Prey

1. David Sheldon says:

I’ve just spent AGES trying to find an I’d for one of these in my garden! Amazing creature.

Warwick UK.

2. Spencer says:

Hi there, I had a just had something similar just land on my leg clutching and small dead wood louse spider.
    Maybe it was to big for it to fly for to long.
    It was a devilish looking wasp about 10mm with a deep purple tinge to the back and wings. Pretty cool as it just landed on my leg while in the garden drinking a beer after work. It’s a good job they get as big as eagles. Lol