White Caterpillar
Hi Bugman. I have 2 Vitex bushes covered with what looks like little black eggs. There are baby caterpillars nearby and I am unsure as to what caterpillar eggs look like, but I am guessing that’s what they are.?.?.? We have these furry white caterpillars. They are much "whiter" in person, but I did not see any white, furry caterpillars with black dots on your site. I am guessing they are a kind of moth, but can you tell me more? Thanks!
Stacey Browning
Dallas, TX

Hi Stacey,
Sadly, we do not recognize your white caterpillar and it would take too much time that we don’t have right now to provide you with an identification. We can tell you that you are mistaken about the other image you believe are caterpillar eggs. Your Vitex bushes are infested with Aphids, and that is a bad thing. The good thing is that the caterpillar with them is actually a predatory Syrphid Fly Larva and it will devour the Aphids. Back to the bad news. It won’t be able to eat them all. Any pesticide you use will also kill the beneficial Syrphid Fly Larvae. You might want to try manually removing some of the terminal branches as aphids tend to congregate on new growth.