Pipevine Swallowtail Caterpillars
Hi!
I Googled and got your site on the second hit. On the first hit, I saw an Eastern Swallowtail caterpillar misidentified as a Pipevine Swallowtail caterpillar. I KNOW what an ES looks like; I wasn’t sure what I had eating the Pipevine plants I had just purchased at the Texas Discovery Garden Butterfly Plant sale (duh, right? LOL! Well, I just wanted to be sure!) I didn’t see any shots of the black variant on your site, so am sending you a couple if you can use them. If not, no worries; I don’t have a macro lens, and I was using a zoom lens, so it was hard to get a good depth of field focused. Thanks for your site; I’ve got it bookmarked.
Debbie

PS Have you ever successfully grown Pipevine, the plant? This is my fourth try, and each time the tubors get holes in them and then rot. I’m keeping these dryer, but have already lost one of the three plants I bought. The other two got hammered by this pair of larvae, so I have them in netting now. It hurts when I see butterflies flitting against the net, but if I can’t get them to grow, there won’t be anything to feed the caterpillars next year!
PPS I’m also including a shot of a rotten tomato I threw into the fenceline yesterday; today, it was covered with Hackberry and Mourning Cloak butterflies!

Hi Debbie,
Your afterthought photo of the Hackberry Emperor feeding frenzy is pretty awesome. We will be posting it as well as your Pipevine Swallowtail Caterpillar photo. Sorry, we have never grown pipevine and do not know anything about its horticultural needs.