crab spider
Where was this site when I found some crazy huge fuzzy spider!? I see the spider in my photo has been identified a couple of times already but I just wanted to share this photo (I’m just proud of it). I am actually terrified of spiders but still find them quite interesting. I like honey bees and I am wondering about the fate of the honey bee in the photo. They got into quite the scuffle and eventually the honey bee flew off – I am just wondering if he’d be alright after a a fight with one of these guys.

Hi Rebecca,
What’s That Bug? has been accepting correspondance from our curious readership online for over five years, and prior to that, for two years in print, though the modest photocopied American Homebody zine probably never crossed your path. Your Crab Spider is stalking a Bumble Bee, not a Honey Bee. Unless the spider sank its fangs into the bee, the Bumble Bee probably lived to pollinate numerous flowers after the near fatal encounter. Sadly, Crab Spiders do not know the difference between beneficial and harmful insects. Since Crab Spiders spend so much time on flowers, a large portion of their prey consists of beneficial pollinators.