Water bug with eggs (and others)
Thanks for posting my Polyphemus picture! Here are some others you might like. One is a picture of a large water beetle of some kind. I believe it is the male bug, and the female has laid her eggs on his back. Do you know what it is? Also, I have included a shot of what I believe to be a Woolly Bear caterpillar, though I have never seen a "blonde" one before! Is my identification correct? The dragonfly picture I have attached is of a male Spangled Skimmer eating some other bug for breakfast. Lastly, I have included a picture of a Praying Mantis egg case, with the baby insects emerging. All of these pictures were taken at Goose Pond Mountain State Park in Chester, NY (southern NY). Thanks again!
Kat

Hi Kat,
Thanks for submitting your other images. We do not have the time nor the wherewithall to deal with multispecies letters. Should you decide to submit anything in the future, please only submit photos of one species per letter. Forced to choose, we decided to post your male Giant Water Bug, Belostoma lutarium. The female cements the eggs onto the back of the male. This species shares the names Giant Water Bug, Toe-Biter and Electric Light Bug with the more frequently seen Lethocerus americanus.