Trapdoor spider
I have occasionally come to lurk around your site. Beautiful and informative! Thank you for all your hard work! I LOVE bugs. I always have. I understand that you are very busy but thanks for giving this a read anyway.
Last spring while helping at the local co-op organic farm I discovered a large, tubular tunnel in the dirt (we were preparing the garden bed for planting). Upon further investigation, I found a large spider hiding out in there. A friend took a nice picture of it before I let it go out of harm’s way. I did a little research online and have figured that this is a trapdoor spider. Unfortunately, I can’t seem to find any info on them living in this area. I live in Southeastern Long Island (New York). Any thoughts? (maybe global warming???)
Tamar

Hi Tamar,
We occasionally jokingly use global warming as an excuse for range expansion, but the truth of the matter is that in many places there are not complete studies of flora and fauna. BugGuide does not show New York as a place where Trapdoor Spider images have originated, but that isn’t conclusive. At any rate, we agree that this is a Trapdoor Spider.