What is this?
Found this bug on my pepper and tomato plants, I was wondering if you could tell me what it is? It is small, like the size of a lady bug, with a hard shell. It has wings, but didn’t appear to fly. I only noticed them when it tried to flip itself over. I looked online, and the closest thing I could find was something like the scale insect, but that doesn’t seem like a perfect match. Do you have any idea what this is? I guess my biggest concern is whether or not they are harmful to my vegetable garden plants. If it helps, I live in northern New Jersey. Please let me know if you can’t open the images, I will send them in another format. Thanks,
Chuck

Hi Chuck,
This is a Clavate Tortoise Beetle, Plagiometriona clavata, one of the leaf beetles. It feeds on the leaves of tomato plants and other solanaceous plants. There is more information on BugGuide.