A lovely Larva
Hey Bug Man:
Found this larva tonight by the edge of the driveway partially hidden by vegetation. Upon closer inspection I realized it was a firefly still in the larva stage as I could see the bioluminescence. I took it inside and made a thirty second time exposure with the camera mounted on a small table top tripod. Voila! The inset picture is the appearance under normal room light with the smaller end being the head. I realeased it back outside under some heavier vegetation so that hopefully in another month or so it will soon be flying over all the corn fields here in souther Wisconsin creating a wonderful summer night spectacle. Nature is an endless source of wonder! Thanks for a great website and for all your hard work keeping as such.
m

WOW M!!!,
What a gorgeous image of a glowing Glowworm, probably the best we have ever received. Glowworms are a separate family from Fireflies, Phengodidae as opposed to Lampyridae. Both Glowworms and Fireflies are Beetles.

Location: Wisconsin

5 Responses to Glowworm

1. Sarah says:

We found a glowing little larva like this on our porch tonight. Although it has no black marks on it at all other than its head being dark it’s all just a creamy white color. We will work on some good photos and hit you up tomorrow! Let me know if this could still be the same glowworm with that variation in color please! Thanks!

2. Todd says:

I have a couple of great photos of a glow worm. You interested?