Very first periodical cicadas
To go along with the nymph photos I sent you earlier, here are a few of the very first periodical cicadas of the year here in NE Illinois. They weren’t able to fly yet, but it was fun watching them waddle around. I took the opportunity to snap some pictures. There were three, and one of them was markedly smaller than the other two. Is this an indication of gender? Thanks, and keep up the good work!
Christina

Hi Christina,
Thank you for sending us your documentation of this momentous moment. 17 years ago, these Periodical Cicadas hatched from eggs, making them the insect with the longest life span. In insects where there is a marked size difference between sexes, it is usually the female that is larger. We don’t know if this is the case with Periodical Cicadas. For more information on the Periodical Cicadas, visit Sue’s new website.

Location: illinois