3 pictures for you
Hi Mr. Bugman,
I am attaching three photos I took this morning of the caterpillar you identified for me on your website. You asked for clearer pictures; I hope these help. You do a great service, and I love your site. Regards,
Darlene Elliott
Santa Rosa, California

Hi Darlene,
Thank you for sending us your images of an Anise Swallowtail Caterpillar, Papilio zelicaon. IN the final instar, we find the caterpillar of the Anise Swallowtail to be visually indistinguishable from images of the Black Swallowtail Caterpillar, Papilio polyxenes. If a reader does not supply a location, we would not be able to tell them apart. The Anise Swallowtail is found in the Western U.S. while the Black Swallowtail if limited to the east. The Black Swallowtail Caterpillar is sometimes called a Parsleyworm, and as your photo indicates, the name also applies to the Anise Swallowtail.