Another Bug ID
Hello again,
The attached photo shows, (new to me), creatures on a Willow here in the Central California Coastal area. I presume they are various stages of the same insect. Any thoughts?
John

Hi John,
This is a Cottonwood Leaf Beetle, Chrysomela scripta, which we identified thanks to BugGuide. This species is found throughout North America. In addition to Cottonwood, they feed on Willows and Poplars. BugGuide states: “Adults and larvae found on willow– Salix , poplar– Populus sp. , and cottonwood– Populus deltoides, etc. Yellow or reddish eggs laid on clusters on underside of leaves. Black larvae skeletonize leaves, while adults attack only midrib and large veins. There are up to five broods per year.” Thanks for sending us your montage that includes the various stages of this beetle’s metamorphosis, including larvae and pupae.