Bug Identification Please
The following photo was taken a few days ago, in Northern Virginia, on a grapevine. The insect on the right appears to be a ladybug larvae. The unknown insect on the left was feeding on the larvae.
John

Hi John,
The unknown insect below (we rotated your image to conform to the aesthetics of our site) is an immature Two Spotted Stink Bug, Perillus bioculatus. BugGuide has a photo that shows more black on the nymph, but this species has some degree of variability. The Two Spotted Stink Bug is an important predator of the Colorado Potato Beetle, but sadly, in your example, it has eaten another predator, a Ladybird Beetle Larva. We have gotten numerous recent identification requests for the Ladybird Larvae, but the photos have been blurry. It is nice to be able to post your crisp and dramatic image.

2 Responses to Two Spotted Stink Bug Nymph eats Ladybird Beetle Larva

1. nedved says:

That above is a larva of the invasive Asian Multicolored Lady beetle, Harmonia axyridis.

2. ameeds says:

Looks more like a Podisus nymph than Perillus to me. I’ve raised both.