South Texas Caterpillars
Hi! Since you were so helpful the last time i found a great bug, here’s another for you: I found two of these little guys in my back yard under an oak tree. They were on plants close to the ground in close proximity to eachother. I put them in a “tank” i had for a betta fish with the plants they were on plus a few more to chow on. The plants were kept alive by pulling up the roots (easy to do in sandy soil) and placing them into a bulb vase with water. A wire/mesh screen was taped to the top of the “tank” to prevent escape. I found them on Wednesday and by Friday afternoon they were already starting to pupate. I am really excited to see what they turn into. I am in Magnolia, Texas (a bit north of Houston). Any chance you can tell me what kind of butterfly/moth to expect? Thanks!
Mary

Hi there Mary,
This is an American Lady Butterfly Caterpillar, Vanessa virginiensis, which we located on BugGuide. The Lady Butterflies, including the Painted Lady, are Brush-Footed Butterflies. The caterpillar feeds on Cudweeds and Everlastings.