Black Widow?
WTB,
I have had this big spider living outside of my front door for over a week and then tonight I saw the red hourglass marking and thought it may be a black widow, but as seen in the picture it is not completely black. Is this still as dangerous as I think? Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris,
Black Widows are often not black until they attain adulthood. This Black Widow is immature or a male spider.

Correction:  July 9, 2018
Thanks to a comment from Genus 2.0, we now agree that this appears to be an immature Brown Widow.

5 Responses to Immature Brown Widow

1. Kaitlyn.R.S says:

That is an immature female black widow. If you don’t take kindly to spiders safely get it away from your house. Or keep it as a kind of pet! I know I have had my female black widow since it was immature like the one in your case.

2. Genus 2.0 says:

This is much ore likely to be a brown widow than an immature black widow. A simple google image search for them will help you make a more valid comparison to the spiders you are seeing at your home. While still quite venomous, the brown widow’s bite is considered less dangerous than a black widow, and they are much more timid and unlikely to bite humans.

Reviewing this old posting with no location listed, we believe you are correct. At the time this was posted, 2007, we were not yet aware of the introduced Brown Widow being in North America, but a month later, we posted our first Brown Widow submission from Georgia. BugGuide states: “It was introduced in Florida and has since been observed moving north through Georgia, and into South Carolina; it has also been officially recorded in California, Alabama, Mississippi, and Texas,” but BugGuide does not provide a date for their arrival in North America. According to the Center for Invasive Species Research: “The brown widow spider, Latrodectus geometricus, became established in Southern California in early 2000 and has become well entrenched as part of the local spider fauna in urban Los Angeles and San Diego. The brown widow spider is continuing its expansion in Southern California and could possibly move northward into Central California.”

• Bobbi says:

I recently found what i think may be a brown widow in southern central California. Kern River valley, to be exact. Wish this would let me send a photo!

3. Bryan says:

I found this one on my garage can today in Fresno California.