blue sow bug
I just wanted to know if a blue sow bug is rare? Or why it is blue. I thought it was very pretty looking.
Thank you,
Melissa

Hi Melissa,
Our guess on this, and we must emphasize the guess part, is that your Pill Bug might be freshly molted and has still not darkened to gray.

Update: (04/28/2007) blue wood lice dear folks
in regard to the blue woodlouse you posted: it is infected with an iridovirus. here is a link to a page with more woodlouse information– http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/7649/woodlice/wliceod.htm although these little blue guys are pretty–the first time i saw one, i thought it was a lapis bead and tried to pick it up; boy was i surprised when it uncurled!–they are, unfortunately, on their way to being compost. thanks for all your good bug work!
patty

Hi Patty,
Thank you so much for a most awesome update, correction and link to information.

6 Responses to Iridovirus Infected Blue Pill Bug

1. scienceGEEK says:

ummm, i’ve been doing research or pill and sow bugs latly and the reason that pillbug was blue was that it was sick not molting.

2. dj says:

I have found some of these in my compost pile….will that taint the dirt. Or is it ok to use with these bugs init

3. G.F. says:

I really like this post. I think woodlice are amazing creatures, but a bit slow to notice they are in no danger. My question is: Is it okay for chickens to eat this bug? I love chickens and have 10. Will it affect their eggs? Will it kill them? Or will they just be okay? Please get back to me A.S.A.P., I really want to know.
    P.S. I don’t think the pill bugs will affect soil.

You might want to check with folks who raise chickens. Not many predators will eat Pill Bugs, and we are not certain of the reason. We will attempt additional research into your question.

4. Scientist says:

When pill bugs r blue they are unhealthy because their blood is blue.