katydid Species
I found this specimen in a pile of Cardboard boxes under the porch at the fossil site that I work last year in late July. The site is in republic, Ferry County Washington, which is in the northeast portion of the state about 30 miles from the Canadian border and at about 2000′ in elevation. I believe that it was about 2 inches long. Do you know anything about what species it may be?
Karl

Hi Karl,
This is some species of Shieldback Katydid. It would take a true expert to get you an exact species, but in searching for your answer, we were led to an awesome website devoted to the Singing Insects of North America and if you examine her genitalia, and use the maps provided, you might be able to key out to the species your lovely female amputee beyone the Subfamily Tettigoniinae.

The green shield-backed katydid is quite possibly a green form of the mormon cricket, Anabrus simplex, or at least a species in the genus Anabrus, and a female (sword-like ovipositor). Keep up the great work!

Update: (07/03/2008) Katydid IDs from Piotr Naskrecki
I have been looking at the page with unidentified katydids (Katydids 2), and thought I could help with some ID’s. From top to bottom they are: Anabrus cerciata (not A. simplex)

Location: Washington