spider help
Found this crawling on my arm in Tucson, AZ. Any ideas on what it is?? Thanks!

We have had ever so many letters containing paranoid questions wondering if just about every size and color spider that lives in the U.S. might be a Brown Recluse. You have the real McCoy here, Loxosceles reclusa.

The brown recluse is a male (very gangly compared to females). Keep up the great work!

Location: Tucson, Arizona

2 Responses to Brown Recluse

1. ptosis says:

Wow! got an answer in 5 minutes from :

http://bugguide.net/node/view/378825

A harmless male Kukulcania sp.
    Kukulcania are a neat group of spiders. Check them out here.

2. Carissa says:

Hi! I live in Kansas where there is a ton of brown recluses. I have learned a lot about them and catch them all the time with drinking glasses. They cannot crawl up glass while most spiders can. I use that as my number one way to identify them. Also they only have six eyes. So I catch them, put a board under the glass and then carefully flip it over, if they can’t crawl up the glass, they get flushed down the toliet straight to the sewer followed by another flush for good measure. I make sure to flush before throwing them in there so they dont have a chance to crawl out first before being sucked down the drain which happened one time.

This picture is a female. I have caught only a few females since they don’t travel far from their nest which is in hidden dark corners while the males travel around at night to find the females to mate.

Anyways, I could go on and on about them but what is interesting is that I have had a female trapped in a upside down small glass for weeks at a time because I was not brave enough to flip the glass and afraid she would get away since they are very fast in warm climates. I thought I could starve her out but later I read that it can take six months. Anyways, long story too late to be short, her abdomen color would vary at times from this white color to a darker color. I have not found the reason why. If anyone knows, please let me know! It is very interesting.