Hornet?
Hi ,
I love your site & found this guy in my garden ( central Florida ) today. It looks like a bald face wasp but the colors are not right, as it has a black face and a spot of white on each shoulder & a single stripe around the abdomen ? It is a 1"-1.5" long
Thoughts? I would really like to let him go soon but want to know what he is first & if someone in the area would like it/need it for research ? I figure its been found before but I cant find any pictures of it anywhere. Also looks like the wings are blue and have a thin set underneath/over the main set ? Also found this fly LOL in the same catch, the wasp isnt interested in it but likes to pinch it now and then. Also the wasp has large pincers that seem very strong as he is trying to eat at the base of the container I put him in ? Thanks
Chris

Hi Chris,
This is a Mason Wasp, Monobia quadridens. You should release this solitary species.