what is this?
hi there
i found this bug in my home yesterday and 3 more today. it’s about half an inch long. it’s got a bright orange body and black head and legs. it looks scary because it’s really bright warning orange and i’m afraid that it’s poisonous. i live in singapore (in south east asia) which is hot and humid all year round. i’ve never seen a bug like this before in my home and i hope it isn’t poisonous because i’ve got cats. the pictures should show a good morphology but the color isn’t so good so i attached a little swatch of digital color closest to the color of the insect. there are no white dots on the insect, it’s just the light from the camera. if it’s poisonous, what can i do to get rid of it? the bug in the picture is dead btw. thanks in advance!
cheers
samantha

Hi Samantha,
This is an immature Assassin Bug. They are not poisonous, but can bite.

5 Responses to Assassinated Assassin Bug from Singapore

1. drswanny says:

Ooohh! I might be able to do more with this later. This is an assassin bug nymph in the subfamily Harpactorinae. The eyes nearer to the apex of the head remind me of Vesbius, but I think there are a few genera with similar head morphology. The slightly nodulose legs also might be important, but with nymphs, not all structures remain through to adulthood.

2. jessi says:

i think its not assasin bug , i have came across this ant like bug since my childhood. and moreover if u inspect closely you will notice that its mouth is like that of mosquito/butterfly which is elongated tube

3. Andrew says:

I thought Assassin Bugs do spread Chagas Disease? Please check this link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chagas_disease and this as well, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triatominae.

This is a matter of semantics. All Assassin Bugs do not spread Chagas. Some Assassin Bugs in the subfamily Triatominae are vectors for the disease.

4. shereen says:

Ive recently found these in my home too… and im looking for answers too as im reading about assassin bugs and Im worried cos i have an elderly pet dog and an 8 year old son. and it concerns me as its a bright coloured insect and looks poisonous to me.