Long Legged Fly and Flesh Fly
WhatsThatBug, (my apologies if you’ve received this multiple times due to technical difficulties with my computer) I have a few photos to submit for your site, if you find them up-to-par and/or needed. – Photo A: I noticed that you have a few long-legged fly photos, but they are from “artistic” angles. Great photos! But I thought you’d also like this straight on shot, for easy identification. Photo B: A cane fly, of course, affectionately called a “mosquito hawk” here. These guys swarm from March to April (+/-). They’re no problem unless they get into the house where you better catch it quick or risk letting it die a painful death in an incandescent lamp (the upturning bowl kind). The halteres (balancers?) are visible behind the wings. This appears to be a female with egg-swollen abdomen, but I’m no expert. – Photo C: One of the photographs is of a fly I didn’t see on your fly pages – the flesh fly. At least, that is what I gather from the description here: http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2111.html. She (?) amicably posed near my husband’s garden. The fly probably completed much of it’s lifecycle on a dead squirrel my kids found in the yard last week. It was about 1 cm in length. … Thanks for all of your work and helping me differentiate between scary helpful bugs and those I should genuinely avoid. I hate to kill another creature, and it’s worse when I do it out of self-defense (or defense of my kids playing in the backyard) to find that the “wasp” I’ve killed is really a garden/people-friendly bee fly or mydas fly and no real threat. Your work is really appreciated!
Kaylene
Bossier City, (Northern) Louisiana

Long Legged Fly Flesh Fly

Hi Kaylene,
We will be posting your Long Legged Fly and Flesh FLy photos. Thanks so much for filling the Flesh Fly void on our site.