Tarantula from Puerto Rico
Fantastic! Thanks so much! We’re getting a kick from seeing all this stuff appear on your site. Eric’s not going to commit to Pepsis formosa or Pepsis thisbe, eh? Since we’ve gotten this detailed, though, we DID find and photograph a tarantula on Vieques. Wanna get down to the genus level on this one? Might it serve as Pepsis prey? (Coinage is for scale, not for commerce) This is such a hoot!
Jim & Sandy
NYC
P.S. That’s Sandy to youse. Nancy is a former girlfriend. Sandy’s the one I married 17 years ago…

Hi Again Jim and Sandy,
We hope posting your latest submission on St. Valentine’s Day will get us out of the doghouse for accidentally crediting a recent submission to an ex-girlfriend rather than your wife. Though we don’t know what genus this Tarantula belongs to, we are confident a reader will eventually write in with the correct answer. It could be the prey of the Tarantula Hawk you sent previously.

Update: (02/15/2007)
About the Tarantula from Puerto Rico
Dear Daniel and Lisa,
Hi guys! As I have said before, I am not at all a spider expert, but I looked online, and I would say that the tarantula from P.R. is a Cyrtopholis species, because of the pretty lighter rings between each segment of the legs. This looks superficially like the Common Puerto Rican tarantula, Cyrtopholis portoricae, see:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/caribbean/wildlife-facts/2006/wildlife-facts-september-2006.shtml
But, if you look carefully at Jim and Sandy’s image, it seems that many of the segments of the legs have attractive longitudinal or diagonal stripes too, in which case I would assume that this spider is likely to be Cyrtopholis bartholomei instead:
http://www.kingsnake.com/westindian/cyrtopholisbartholomaei1.JPG
Best, Susan

Hi LA and D,
Looks like Susan is on to something. She may be more or a spider expert than she thinks. Our tarantula’s legs do have those longitudinal stripes, in very much the same patterns on the same leg segments as the Cyrtopholis bartholomei in her second link. There’s a color difference, though. Might that just be like a horse having a chestnut coat rather than a bay? Here’s another angle of ours, that shows the striping pattern:
Jim and Sandy