Borneo Bug
Hi just found your great site! I am living in East Kalimantan, Indonesian Borneo, and a friend of mine took these pictures of critters she saw when walking in the Kutai National park near Sangatta. Are they a species of planthopper or treehopper?? The local Indonesian name for them is “Lom Lim”. Any help would be greatly appreciated as books on local bugs are hard to come by out here! Many thanks, keep up the great work
Sara

Hi Sara,
This is a Fulgorid Planthopper. Insects in the family Fulgoridae are sometimes called Lanternflies. That common name dates to an erroneous early belief that tropical species were luminous. These insects suck plant juices.

4 Responses to Lanternfly from Borneo

1. EMB says:

Yes, Chun Xing Wong is right – according to a book in my hands “Fulgoridae 2 – Illustrated Catalogue of the Asiatic and Australian Fuana” by Nagai and Porion this is definitely Pyrops sultana (Adams and White, 1847), known only from Borneo. – This book is extremely useful as it pictures all Fulgoridae known from that region.

Erwin

Thanks for your confirmation Erwin. Pyrops sultana is now pictured on Discover Life and on PBase. There are many more photos available on the internet now than in 2007 when we first received this identification request. We are very appreciative that our readership digs through our archives to help with incomplete or incorrect identifications from years past.

2. EMB says:

Erwin