Japanese bugs
Hi – I’m happy to have found your site – I have a new site to waste time with! I live in Japan and there are tons of bugs that I’ve never seen before. I think I’ll add some neat pics to your collection as well. I haven’t been able to find any information on these insects – almost all the information i find is in Japanese, and I’m not quite proficient in the language to learn interesting things about these guys. All of these pictures are from Shikoku (the smallest of the 4 main islands in Japan) Any information would be appreciated, I haven’t seen any info on your site about any of these, so maybe you’ll have some fun researching these..
Nick
This is a huge moth we found on the wall. It was about the size of a small bat. It flies like one too. I’m wondering if that’s how it camoflauges itself from birds. The size is about 3.5 inches from from head to tail. The wingspan is impressive.

Hi Nick,
It didn’t take us too long to identify your Japanese Oak Silkmoth, Antheraea yamamai. It is a highly variable species, with wings that vary from brown, through yellow, through orange. We found a website with wonderful images of the variations.