Spiny Oak Slug Caterpillar
First of all I would like to say how much I enjoy your site. I’ve been interested in entomology for about 40 years, much to my Mom’s dismay during those early years. LOL I do a lot of nature photography and spend lots of time taking pictures of insects and spiders. I have been trying to ID a caterpillar that I have narrowed down to the Hesitant Dagger Moth. I used the Caterpillars of Eastern Forests to get this ID, but they also mentioned that there are several Dagger Moths that have similar looking caterpillars. At any rate, I just ordered Caterpillars of Eastern North America by Wagner. I’ve been wanting a good book to ID caterpillars anyways. If I still don’t get a positive ID from that, I just may be sending you a picture of this caterpillar. In looking through all the caterpillars you have, I thought maybe I could send you a photo from time to time of things you don’t have pictures of. The photo I’m sending you today is the Spiny Oak Slug Caterpillar. Definitely one of the coolest caterpillars I’ve found, and be careful if you find one of these they do have stinging spines. Feel free to use this photo on your site. I belong to several photography groups on the internet and when someone posts a picture of an insect or spider, they usually come to me to help them find out what it is. Some of them even call me the bug lady. LOL Wonderful site you have here, keep up the good work!
Judy Whitton aka the “bug lady”

Hi Judy,
Thank you so much for filling a hole in our archives with your photo of the Spiny Oak Slug Caterpillar, Euclea delphinii. We are much obliged. We also eagerly await any other deficiencies you choose to fill. Thanks again and have a wonderful day. Though you did not provide us with a location, we are guessing you are in Florida or some other southern state.

Hi Daniel, you are very welcome. I wish I could say I’m from Florida or one of the other southern states, but I’m from Northeast Indiana in Fort Wayne. We have a wonderful nature preserve here in town called Lindenwood Nature Preserve, 110 acres, that I do most of my bug shooting at. That is where I took that picture. I also go to a few state parks and nature preserves close by. I’ve also been fortunate to find the Saddleback Caterpillar and the Skiff Moth Caterpillar, but I noticed you already had plenty of those. I’m keeping my eye open for some of the other slug caterpillars that are in my area.
Judy Whitton, the Bug Lady