Chrome Bug
This was taken while on a Ficus hedge in Florida today. It appears to be some type of borer as it stays on the tender stems of new leaves. Got any ideas? This was my second sighting while shooting Macro shots for fun.
Chris

Hi Chris,
When a specimen of Eurhinus magnificus was sent to us in April 2005, it created quite a stir. This Central American Metallic Weevil originates in Costa Rica, Panama and Southern Mexico, but was introduced to Florida. Probably as a result of global warming, the tropical species has expanded its range northward. We wonder if ficus is the host plant.

Metallic Weevil, Eurhinus magnificus
Thanks for the confirmation.
Both sightings have been on the tenderest portion of a ficus plant. Attached is a better image of the beast. I’ll keep my eyes open for them on other plants. Attached is a bit better image of the Weevil. I have good shots from about 5 angles if you want them.
Chris

Thanks Chris,
The subtle movement of the antennae is a nice addition.

Dear bugman-
I saw the picture of Eurhinus magnificus and your question about Ficus being its host. If the Ficus hedge is the ubiquitous Ficus benjamina, it is native to Asia and Australia. This would make me think that the hedge is not a natural host for the weevil. It may be opportunistic or just hanging out. Also- It is far more likely that the beast was brought into Florida through trade from its native range rather than a natural expansion. This happens in Florida over and over and over… Hope this is useful.
Jimi

Update: 17 June 2009, 7:27 AM
In trying to identify an unusual Weevil from Costa Rica today, we stumbled upon this great link with the life cycle of Eurhinus magnificus.