Millipede
can you please tell me what kind of millipede this is? I found it in the Philipines a few years ago. Thanks.
Stefan from Denmark.

Hi Stefan,
We haven’t had much luck identifying your Millipede species. Perhaps one of our readers will have an answer for you.

Update: (01/20/2008) Millipede ids.
Here are ids. for the millipedes on the millipede page. Most are quite old; don’t people submit new ones more often than this? 1/1/07 . Philippines . From colors of bands it looks like a representative of the family Rhinocricidae (order Spirobolida). Since Stefan is in Denmark, there is a first rate specialist at the Danish Museum of Natural History, Copenhagen, Dr. Henrik Enghoff. Stefan should take the specimen by for an id. Henrik will probably be interested to learn that this foreign millipede was found in Denmark.
Rowland Shelley
North Carolina State Museum of Natural Science

Update: (02/04/2008) possible contact for ID’ing Filipino millipede
Hello!
Well, once again, you folks are responsible for the loss of about $25.00 worth of valuable tax dollars! Here I am, trying to ID a North American Millipede, when I made the mistake of logging on to your website. It is so fascinating that it seems I have “squandered” a good hour just poking around, looking at all the fascinating photos and sassy comments. Keep it up! I was overjoyed to see that gorgeous Philippine millipede. I grew up there, and got my biology degree there. If you’d like me to, I will track down the email address of the terrestrial ecosystems section of the bio department – CENTROP, Silliman University, Dumaguete City, Philippines. Perhaps they have someone there that can ID that beauty. My husband is filipino, and tells me stories of gigantic millipedes that can “shoot” a caustic acid on people that harrass them. Yikes. The specimen in the picture is probably about 6″ long, judging from the bamboo wall/floor strips behind it on the right that are usually about an inch wide. Sure wish I had seen it! Wow. Hope it helps! My husband is from the Philippines, and he recognizes the lovely black and yellow millipede. It’s about 6″ long, and he thinks the locals call it “labod” in the local dialect of Cebuano. He says it can ooze a very caustic fluid. You might try contacting CENTROP at Silliman University, Dumaguete City Philippines if you need more info on it. There should be someone there who would know more about it. I’ll try to track down a valid e-mail address if you are interested. That is one totally cool millipede!!!!!
Karen Puracan
Naturalist
Lancaster County Environmental Center

3 Responses to Millipede from the Philippines

1. pyjstein says:

How long is the millipede shown in the photo, & where exactly was it found in the Philippines ?

Might it be a Spirobolus sp. ? This genus of giant millpedes (some brightly-banded) is naturally-distributed across the Philippines & the nearby region. Likewise for Thyropygus sp. Egs.
    1) Spirobolus walkeri: Pic1, Pic2.
    2) Spirobolus bungii: Pic3, Pic4.
    3) Thyropygus bispinus (Tiger Millipede): Pic5.

For a more exotic but still Old World species (from Africa), perhaps a Pelmatojulus sp. ? Egs.
    4) Pelmatojulus tigrinus (Tiger Millipede): Pic6, Pic7.
    5) Pelmatojulus ligulatus & P. excisus: Pic8.

Similar-looking New World species would include Anadenobolus monilicornis (Bumblebee Millipede) & Rhinocricus spp.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. We are unable to provide you with any additional information on the Millipede. This posting was made in 2007 and we did not maintain contact information on Stefan from Denmark.

2. Cartridge Chua says:

Yellow banded millipede?