Caterpillar ID
I have been trying to ID This cattapiller, I photographed in the summer down near the river bottoms, West TN. Thank you
Kathleen Chute

Hi Kathleen,
This is some species of Sphinx Moth in the family Sphingidae. We will try to get a positive ID.

Thank you very Much, I too felt it was of the sphinx moth class but there is such a big difference in pattern. Thanks a Bunch for any and all help.
Kathleen Chute

Hi again Kathleen,
After some research, we now believe this is a Great Ash Sphinx Caterpillar, Sphinx chersis. It seems to be an atypical color pattern. Both Bill Oehlke’s wonderful website and BugGuide have a photo taken by Tony Thomas in 1993 that looks very similar to your caterpillar, but it is a lateral view. We will consult with Bill Oehlke to see if he agrees with our assessment.

I am leaning more toward Agrius cingulata due to black markings on head, but I cannot tell for sure as there is nothing for size comparison, possible food plant. I would need a lateral view. Sorry. It might be chersis??
Bill Oehlke

Location: Tennessee

2 Responses to Pink Spotted Hawkmoth Caterpillar

1. Bostjan Dvorak says:

Yes, it is Agrius cingulatus.

Great wishes,
    Bostjan