Oleander Hawk Moth in Waikoloa, Hawaii?
10 January 2007
Aloha Daniel & Bill!
Two evenings as I was closing up my office and going into the house I was greeting by this moth on the sheers on the French doors. I went back to my office and picked up my new digital camera and went back in and took four shots. My wife and I have called this moth ‘The Camouflage Moth.’ Several of its kind have flown into our house in the past nine years and unfortunately many of them have not found their way out. I found Daniel’s Website. It is excellent. It looks like last night’s moth was an Oleander Hawk Moth, but all those in the Website are greenish. Mine is brownish! Otherwise the markings seem to be the same. Is there a brown morph? I took this shot with available indoor lighting, but it dod not look green to me at the time. We do have four constantly blooming oleanders on the property, also Periwinkle (Vinca). And several oleander hedges up and down our street. Waikoloa in on the western and leeward/dry side of Hawaii’s Big Island. There was a wonderful moth in Korea (most likely a sphinx moth) that all Westerners thought was a hummingbird! My wife and I lived in Seoul, Korea for thirty-four years. These moths used to frequent our balcony and get their nectar from my hot pink petunias There are no hummingbirds in the Eastern Hemisphere.
Thank you,
Michael

Hi Again Michael,
That new camera of yours is sure getting a workout. We have gotten many photos of the Oleander Hawkmoth from Hawaii this week. In our opinion, your moth does appear green. There will always be some color variations within a species. The Pandora Sphinx from the mainland is another Sphinx that is often called a Camouflage Moth by our readership.